I love caramel corn. It’s one of my family’s favorite treats for movie nights. I have a super simple caramel popcorn recipe that we love!
But lately, whenever we go camping, my mother-in-law has been making these Pirate’s Booty caramel corn puffs. And let me tell you, it is absolutely FABULOUS!!!
I could sit by the campfire and eat the entire bowl! Or in front of the TV, or wherever… I’m not picky 🙂
These Pirate’s Booty caramel corn puffs are not only delicious, but it’s also not really sticky, which is a plus when you have 3 little kids digging their hands in the bowl.
It’s also not made with popcorn at all, it’s made with corn puffs, so there are no unpopped kernels to break your teeth on! Huge plus! And it turns out, the recipe is actually really easy.
- 8-10 oz. Puffed Corn (the brand pictured is all my grocery store had. I actually prefer the chester’s brand of puffed corn, but any kind of corn puffs will work
- 1/2 C. butter
- 1/2 C. light corn syrup
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
1. Combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a 2 quart sauce pan. Cook on medium heat until it has all melted and begins to bubble. Do not overcook the mixture or your caramel will be REALLY hard.
2. Add the baking soda to the pot. It will make the bubble up a lot and become frothy, it also gives it a nice caramel color. Stir until combined and remove from heat.
3. Pour caramel over the Corn Puffs (in a large bowl). Use a rubber spatula to fold the caramel into the Corn Puffs.
4. The recipe calls for you to bake your caramel corn puffs, which will make it a little crispier and less sticky. But honestly, you totally don’t have to. You can let it cool and eat it soft and chewy if you’d like. I personally like it baked and crispy but my husband likes it chewy. Either way is delicious.
6. If you choose the crispier method, spread the Pirate’s Booty out on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 F. for about 20 minutes. Make sure you stir the mixture up every few minutes. Once it’s baked and cooled, break it into bit sized pieces.
And that’s it! You’ve got yourself a snack that’s perfect for movie night, camping, or to sneak into the pantry and eat while nobody’s looking. This has quickly become a family favorite of ours, and I hope it will be a favorite for your family too.
If you liked this recipe for Pirate’s Booty Caramel Corn Puffs, you might also like some of my other snack food recipes: