Yesterday I shared my newest rustic farmhouse sign. I love the saying on that sign! “Peace be unto thy soul” really speaks to my heart. But I wanted another sign for Easter, so I came up with this pretty hand-lettered Easter sign. And I’m sharing the free printable, so you can make one for yourself too.
This video will show me how I made my sign, step by step.
Watch this second video below to see how I drew the vines and flowers. Practice a few times on a piece of paper before you do it on your wood.
You can download the “he is risen” free printable here -> He-is-risen-handlettered-printable.jpeg
This Easter, I invite you to participate in the #PrinceOfPeace initiative. I promise that this initiative will help us, and those around us, feel of the Savior’s peace. On March 31, watch this video at mormon.org/easter. Then, each day during Holy Week, from Palm Sunday (April 9) until Easter Sunday (April 16), one of 8 principles will be presented on mormon.org with a scripture, a short video of individuals who have found peace from practicing this principle, and a few suggestions on ways we might live this principle.
This sign would be a perfect project to coordinate with the theme for April 10th – Compassion. These are some suggestions for things you can do for compassion. Or, if none of these work for you, think of your own!
- Watch the Mormon Messages video “Lift: The Power of Service.”
- Think of someone you love. Make a list of their good traits and give it to them.
- Write a letter to someone who has recently experienced a loss or could use a pick-me-up. You could also make this sign as a gift for them, if you feel prompted to.
- Make this sign to keep in your home as a reminder of our Savior’s compassion to you, and his role as Prince of Peace.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SIGN:
- 1×4 board (36″ long)- you can usually get these in 6, 8, 10, or 12 foot lengths
- 1×2 board (48″ long)- you can usually get these in 8 foot lengths
- paint + brush (This DecoArt chalky paint is my favorite, but you could use any craft paint)
- stain + applicator
- Wood Glue
- Gloves, eye protection, hearing protection
- Brad nailer + brad nails (You can find the one I used in my video on Amazon)
- This free printable download here -> He-is-risen-handlettered-printable.jpeg
- Marker (I like this kind rather than a sharpie)
- One Picture Hanger for the back- optional (I keep this kit on hand, then I always have what I need)
How to Make a Rustic Farmhouse Style Sign:
- Cut wood pieces. For this size, you’ll need:
- 3- 1×4’s (12″ long)
- 2- 1×2’s (10 1/2″ long)
- 2- 1×2’s (13 3/8″ long)
- Stain the 1×2’s and paint the 1×4’s.
- Use wood glue and brad nailer to attach the 1×2’s as a frame around the 1×4’s.
- Print out the free printable download here -> Peace-be-unto-thy-soul-print.jpg
- Rub the side of a pencil over the backside of the download. This will help to transfer the image on to the wood.
- Tape your paper to your wood where you want the image to be. Use a pen and trace on the front side of the image.
- Remove the paper from the wood. You should have a pencil sketching of the image.
- Use a sharpie and trace over the image. You could also use paint, if you’d rather.
I also shared this Peace be Unto thy Soul farmhouse style sign a few days ago. Click here to check it out.
Thank you so much for reading, if you liked this tutorial, you might also like some of my other FARMHOUSE stuff:
Farmhouse Buffet free building plans