I love building my own furniture, you guys know that by now (you can see all the things I’ve built here). I’m honestly not a “fine wood” type of girl. I really just prefer building with regular old 2×4’s, and turning them into beautiful pieces of furniture, like this 2×4 farmhouse bench.
The original plans came from Ana White, but I modified her plans a little bit to fit my space. I lengthened the seat to 76 inches long, so it fits better in my entryway, and on the side of my dining table. Oh, and did I mention this 2×4 farmhouse bench cost less than $20 in lumber? Yeah, that’s pretty awesome!
I love the way this bench fits in my entryway, and how it looks with my simple board and batten. I don’t have enough heart eyes for that board and batten- I seriously want to put it everywhere in my house. Get the full tutorial by clicking here.
Materials for the 2×4 Farmhouse Bench:
Here’s a little tip: I buy everything from the Home Depot online– yes, I buy my lumber and screws online- then I just click the “pick up in store” option, and by the time I get to the store, they have everything on a cart and ready for me. It’s AMAZING! I’ve linked everything you need here, so just click on the links, then add to your cart and pick it up at your local Home Depot. You can find all the details for in store pickup here.)
- 7- 2×4 studs
- 2.5 inch grabber screws
- 2.5 inch pocket hole screws
- Wood Glue
- Wood Filler Do not buy your wood filler at the hardware store, it is WAY overpriced- this stuff on Amazon is way cheaper, and just as good.
- Stain or Paint (I used American Walnut stain from Rustoleum and DecoArt’s Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint in “everlasting” for the paint)
- Miter Saw
- Kreg Jig– If you don’t have a Kreg Jig, buy one right now! They are $99 at either Amazon or at The Home Depot, and it will change your furniture building life.
- Sander and 150 grit sandpaper
- Drill (this Ryobi drill/ driver kit is what I have and I LOOOVE it!)
- Countersink Drill Bit (comes with the Kreg Jig)
- Measuring Tape
- Eye and Hearing Protection
- 4- 2×4’s @ 76 inches
- 2- 2×4’s @ 14 inches
- 1- 2×4 @ 58 inches
- 1- 2×4 @ 54 inches
- 4- 2×4’s @ 15.5 inches. Both ends cut at 10 degrees off square. Ends are parallel.
- 2 – 2×4 @ 12.5 inches. Both ends cut at 10 degrees off square. Ends are not parallel. (12.5″ from long point to long point).
- 2 – 2×4 @ 13 3/8 inches. Both ends cut at 45 degrees off square. Ends ARE parallel.
Instructions for the 2×4 farmhouse bench:
Thank you so much for reading my tutorial for my 2×4 farmhouse bench. If you liked this tutorial, you might also like some of my other furniture tutorials: