I can’t wait to share this Strawberry Crumb Bars recipe with you guys! I made them to take to a party tonight, and oh my goodness, guys! Sooo yummy. Think they’ll notice I brought a dish minus a piece? Haha!
Gosh, it seems like I’m always taking food to parties, BBQ’s, or potlucks (and usually with pretty much NO notice!). And I’m not a super fancy chef or anything, so I never have funky ingredients on hand that half my cookbooks call for (tarragon? still have no idea what that is!) But I love to cook, and I love to make impressive things to take along with me to parties (hello Rainbow Jello). So I was so excited to get my hands on this cookbook written by my friend, Allison (Cupcake Diaries Blog). It’s called “Sun and Sizzle: Grills to Greens and Everything in Between” and it’s filled with delicious recipes for Summer that use real, common ingredients that I actually have in my cupboard.
This cookbook has recipes for everything you’ll want to cook this Summer- steaks, shrimp, fruity drinks, salads, and yes- desserts. I had a pack of strawberries sitting in my fridge begging to made into a dessert, so I was excited to find this strawberry crumb bars recipe. And I think my strawberries were so happy to be included.
Come on guys, doesn’t that look delicious! This is before I put the glaze on top, and I was seriously tempted to skip the glaze all together because it looked so pretty in the dish like this.
But then I added the glaze and all was well in the world- SO delicious! My kids were begging for a piece before I took it to the party and “everybody eats the whole thing!”… and I’m thinking everyone is going to love these strawberry crumb bars!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter plus 2 Tbsp- cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- q cup white chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1. preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9x13 pan with cooking spray, set aside
- 2. combine flour, sugar, and salt in an electric mixer. Turn the mixer on low and add 1 cup cold butter one piece at a time. Continue to mix until everything is well combined.
- 3. Set 1 cup of this mixture aside. Press the rest of it evenly into the bottom of the greased pan. Bake for 12 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned.
- 4. While the bottom layer is baking, add brown sugar and quick oats to the remaining dough in the mixer. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and mix until the dough turns clumpy. You can also do this part with your hands.
- 5. Combine strawberries, jam or jelly, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Use a fork to combine everything and mash up the strawberries, leaving some chunks if desired.
- 6. Remove cookie crust from the oven and spread strawberry mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle crumble mixture over the strawberry mixture. Bake 20 minutes. Allow bars to cool before cutting.
- 7. Prepare glaze by placing white chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave another 30 seconds, and then stir again until creamy. Heat for longer if chocolate is still chunky. Add powdered sugar and mix well.
- 8. Place glaze mixture in a small ziplock bag. Cut a small piece off one of the corners. Swirl on the glaze over each bar.